Boots Cabin


Welcome to the John Boots Cabin, Marshal County’s oldest-standing structure.

The cabin was moved here in 2004 from the east side of the intersection of Linden Rd and 18B Rd, it’s second location. The original location was on the north east corner of Linden Rd and 17th Rd.

The outside logs are made from Tulip Poplar, some of the newer logs were replaced with trees hewn on site. Note the hand-hewn dovetails at the corners. Unlike frontier days, the chinking was done with synthetic PermaChink in an attempt to extend the time between repairs.

In 1850, Miranda boots would have been 33 years old with six children. By 1860, another three children would have been added to the family. They were: John Jr., Rachel, Nancy, Sarah A., Mary J., Lucie (Lieuranier), Harriet, Presley and Jacob.

Husband and father John Austin Boots was an election clerk and fence viewer for the county. Records also show he had a tavern license which would have been necessary to home brew his own beverages.

The cabin was built in 1840 (some report 1934) on Linden Road in Green Township. The family moved from Kentucky sometime before this likely on the promise of free land. In 1867, John was at a neighbor’s splitting rails when he chopped his foot and bled to death before getting help.

In 1867 his oldest son, Jacob, then 19, would have been the head of the family and moved his mother and probably younger siblings to Westville, Ill.

To put this sequence in perspective, the Civil War was from 1861 to 1865. Airplanes weren’t in full use until 1903. The automobile began in 1885 in Germany. In 1850 The Scarlett Letter was published. Zachary Taylor would have been president until his death when Milard Filmore took over.

 

BEFORE MOVING
RESTORED VIEW
FRONT
BACK
NORTH
SOUTH
MAIN FLOOR LOOKING WEST
 
MAIN FLOOR LOOKING SOUTH
 
MAIN FLOOR LOOKING NORTH
 
UPSTAIRS LOOKING SOUTH
 
UPSTAIRS LOOKING NORTH
 

 

©2015 Potawatomi Park, Inc.