"THE WALL" HISTORIC SITE
This 10-acre property on Birch Road located east of Potawatomi Wildlife Park contains a "New Deal" feature. The two main New Deal agencies that created projects like this were the Work Progress Administratian and the Civillian Conservation Program Corps. It is not known under which program this feature was created. This feature was originally developed as a park and included cooking stations that were built into the wall.
The Work Progress Administration (renamed in 1939 the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest New Deal agency, employing millions of people and affecting almost every locality in the United States, especially rural and western mountain populations. It was created in April 1935 by Franklin Delano Roosevelt's presidential order, and activated with congressional funding in July of that year (the U.S. Congress funded it annually but did not set it up).
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a work-relief program for young men from unemployed families, established March 21, 1933, by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. As part of Roosevelt's New Deal legislation, it was designed to combat unemployment during the Great Depression. The CCC became one of the most popular New Deal programs among the general public and operated in every U.S. state and several territories.
To get to the feature, go south from the park's entrance on State Road 331 to 18th Road. Turn left and go east across the first bridge to Birch Road. Turn left on Birch Road to the second pull off on the left. Riverbank fishing is permitted on this property. Please help us maintain this area by practicing "Leave No Trace."
©2014 Potawatomi Park, Inc.